POLICE THWART TERROR ATTACK IN NAIROBI
The Standard, Nairobi, Friday, September 14, 2012
By Cyrus Ombati
Police are looking for eight more suspects who escaped during a house raid in Nairobi's Eastleigh Estate. Two other suspected terrorists were arrested and six suicide bombs, 12 grenades, four AK 47 rifles and 480 bullets recovered from them as police thwarted a major terror plot in Nairobi.
The two were arrested at a residential house on Thursday night in Eastleigh area where they have been staying in the past two months while plotting the alleged attack on churches.
Police said they were part of a larger terror gang that planned to attack strategic buildings in the city. Two other suspects are at large and police are hunting them in the city. The suspects apparently planned to use them at churches on Sunday.
The suicide bombs had been mounted on vests attached with mobile phones with batteries, which police said would have ignited a series of explosions.